Photo: Business Insider
The explosive growth of smartphones and tablets has entrepreneurs salivating at the massive business opportunity.There’s even a trendy acronym: “SoLoMoCo,” or social-local-mobile-commerce.
But remember Webvan? Founded in the frothy dot-com 1.0 era, the e-commerce local grocery service lost about a billion dollars by the time it filed for bankruptcy in 2001.
Find out what’s different in 2012 and where the money is in local and mobile commerce from Yelp and Foursquare at IGNITION: Future of Digital, Business Insider’s conference on emerging digital business models.
The third-annual IGNITION, on Nov 27-28 to in New York, will host Yelp CEO Jeremy Stoppelman in a special fireside chat. Yelp has dominated local reviews in two tech-heavy markets, San Francisco and New York, first on the desktop and now increasingly with its mobile product.
Foursquare CRO Steve Rosenblatt came to the check-in service in summer from Apple’s iAd program and before that Quattro, which the Cupertino giant gobbled in 2010. He’s charged with figuring out how to best partner with local merchants and otherwise generate revenue.
Which deals and ad products are working? Do partnerships scale through a ginormous sales force or user-friendly software merchants can easily sign up on?
IGNITION features interviews and discussions with leaders from the consumer tech and publishing worlds, including these confirmed speakers:
- Jeff Weiner, CEO, LinkedIn
- Jeff Bewkes, CEO & Chairman, Time Warner
- Carolyn Everson, VP, Facebook
- Matt Mullenweg, Co-founder, WordPress
- Bradley Horowitz, VP, Google
- Jill Abramson, Executive Editor, New York Times
- David Lee, Founder & Managing Director, SV Angel
- Dr Mehmet Oz, Host, “The Dr Oz Show”
- And many more. Full list here.
Here’s who should attend IGNITION:
- Senior executives in technology and media firms who need to know the latest changes in consumer behaviour and disruptive business models
- Investors, both public and private, who require strategic perspectives on both market-moving companies and emerging business
- Chief executives of late-stage startups who must stay abreast of what industry heavyweights and upcoming competitors are doing
- Heads of emerging companies who need a landscape perspective and to connect with decision-makers
- Solution providers to consumer-technology firms and content publishers
Topics on the agenda include:
- HYPER-LOCAL: Can It Save Mobile Ads?
- MOBILE PAYMENTS: Who Wins? Who Profits?
- THE RISE OF THE VISUAL WEB: Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest, Facebook And Beyond
- SOCIAL AND DIGITAL ADVERTISING: What’s Next?
- DIGITAL STORYTELLING: Brands As Publishers And Networks
The agenda also includes an hourly break to network and caffeinate, extended lunch and breakfast, sponsored workshops, and cocktail reception.
See you next month!
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.