- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called on his people to make a “new start” and signalled that the trade war with the US was far from over.
- During a speech in China’s southeastern Jiangxi province, Xi told cheering crowds that the nation was embarking on a “new Long March” and encouraged the country to remain resilient in the face of hardship.
- The Chinese president’s actions of late are being interpreted as digs at US President Donald Trump as the trade war between the two nations rages on.
Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called on his country to “make a new start” and signalled that the trade war with the US was far from over.
During a speech in China’s southeastern Jiangxi province, Xi told cheering crowds that the nation was embarking on a “new Long March” and encouraged the country to remain resilient in the face of hardship.
“Now there is a new Long March, and we should make a new start,” Xi said Monday during his first national tour since the US-China trade war intensified this month with a series of tit-for-tat tariffs on billions of dollars’ worth of imports.
Xi’s remarks had cultural significance for residents of Jiangxi, known as the starting point for the 6,000-mile trek referred to as the Long March of 1934, which preceded the ousting of Nationalist forces by the Communist Party and the emergence of Mao Zedong as China’s leader.
The Chinese president’s recent actions have been interpreted as attacks on US President Donald Trump as the trade war between the two nations rages on. On Monday, Xi was photographed at a rare-earth magnet factory in eastern China, a highly publicized move suggesting China may be planning to leverage its rare-earth materials, which are used in a wide range of high-tech US products such as smartphones and electric cars.
As the two countries remain at odds over trade, a new battle is being fought between US and Chinese tech companies.
Last week, the Trump administration added the Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei to a trade blacklist, which prevents the company from buying parts and components from American companies without US government approval. The move could have a dramatic effect on Huawei’s operations, as the company’s smartphones use some US components.
Google is reportedly responding to the ban by suspending some business with Huawei and dropping its licensing on Android, which would prevent users from receiving critical updates. Several other major US tech suppliers are also said to be cutting ties with the company.
On Tuesday, Huawei CEO Ren Zhengfei told Chinese media that the company was “fully prepared” for a clash with the US, which he considered inevitable as the company worked toward becoming a global tech leader.
“We sacrificed [the interests of] individuals and families for the sake of an ideal, to stand at the top of the world,” Ren said, according to the South China Morning Post.
“For this ideal, there will be conflict with the United States sooner or later.”
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.