- Ronda Rousey sent the WWE women’s champion Alexa Bliss through a table and turned on her former WWE mentor Kurt Angle in a promo on Monday.
- Though obviously “kayfabe,” an industry term meaning “scripted,” the segment made for compelling viewing.
- Angle, the general manager of the WWE show “Raw,” later slapped Rousey with a 30-day suspension.
- Angle tweeted that if Rousey continued to behave this way, then a career in sports entertainment is clearly not for her.
- Rousey could return in time for one of the biggest WWE shows of the year, SummerSlam.
Ronda Rousey has been slapped with a 30-day suspension from WWE.
Rousey, the WWE superstar dubbed “the baddest woman on the planet,” launched an extraordinary “attack” during Monday’s episode of “WWE Raw.”
Though obviously “kayfabe,” an industry term meaning “scripted,” the segment made for compelling viewing as Rousey judo-threw her former mentor Kurt Angle to the floor and beat him with a briefcase by the turnbuckle. She later power-slammed the WWE women’s champion Alexa Bliss through a table.
The motive for Rousey’s attack is clear: Bliss interrupted her Money in the Bank match against Nia Jax on Sunday. Bliss smacked Rousey in the back with a briefcase, beat Jax, and lifted the women’s championship title, one she wanted to celebrate during a promo on “Raw” the next day.
But Rousey was in no mood to celebrate. She wanted revenge, even if Angle got caught in the crosshairs.
Watch the scenes below:
Angle, the general manager of “Raw,” chided Rousey for her actions after the episode and suspended her for 30 days.
— WWE (@WWE) June 19, 2018
He then tweeted that a career in sports entertainment may not be suitable for Rousey after all.
“Unfortunately Ronda crossed the line tonight,” he said. “If Ronda can’t take a few verbal ‘shots,’ then she needs to reconsider her career in sports entertainment.
“This is NOT some fight club. This is WWE. I regret suspending her from RAW for 30 days… but My hope is she’ll learn from it.”
Unfortunately Ronda crossed the line tonight. If Ronda can’t take a few verbal “shots”, then she needs to reconsider her career in Sports entertainment. This is NOT some fight club. This is WWE. I regret suspending her from Raw for 30 days… but My hope is she’ll learn from it. https://t.co/VdI2foZzDu
— Kurt Angle (@RealKurtAngle) June 19, 2018
Rousey’s suspension means she will be unable to compete at the next WWE pay-per-view show on July 15, Extreme Rules, at the PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh.
However, it means that a return at one of WWE’s biggest shows of the year, SummerSlam, in August, could be in the cards.