The authors behind the popular supermarket food guide Eat this, Not That! have honed in on what they say are the 10 worst things you could throw in your grocery cart.David Zinczenko and Matt Goulding hit the aisles at supermarkets to analyse nutrition facts on popular items, including so-called “calorie-wise” options.
What they found was pretty stomach-turning evidence of stores stocked with bad health booby traps.
“The average supermarket contains more nutritional minefields than ever before,” said Zinczenko, who’s also editor-in-chief of Men’s Health.
“Whether items are masquerading as healthy or the food is a more obvious indulgence, like Marie Callender’s Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie, with its first listed ingredients being chicken fat, oils, cream, and cheese—careful consideration and proper research always produces a better swap.”
The authors factored things like calorie counts, fat, saturated fat, sodium, and added sugar into their analysis, studying 20 specific categories of foods. Afterward, they picked the worst offender in each category, which includes frozen entrees, canned goods, cereals, and others.
The aforementioned Marie Callender’s Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie claimed the top spot, packing more than 1,100 calories and 72 grams of fat between two pastry shells. The company also scored the honour of worst pie, with its Southern Pecan Pie clocking in at 450 calories.
Here’s how the top 10 shaped up:
Top 10 Worst Supermarket Foods:
- Worst Packaged Food: Marie Callender’s Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie (1,140 calories)
- Worst Frozen Entrée: Hungry-Man Select Classic Fried Chicken (1,030 calories)
- Worst Frozen Pizza: DiGiorno Traditional Crust Supreme Pizza (790 calories)
- Worst Stir-Fry/Skillet: Stouffer’s Sautés For Two Steak Gorgonzola (730 calories)
- Worst Breakfast: Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls Pancakes & Sausage Links (710 calories)
- Worst Individual Snack: Hostess Chocolate Pudding Pie (520 calories)
- Worst Kids’ Meal: Lunchables with Juice, Nachos, Cheese Dip + Salsa (490 calories)
- Worst Pie: Marie Callender’s Southern Pecan Pie (450 calories)
- Worst Frozen Treat: Mrs. Fields Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich (450 calories)
- Worst Packaged Side: Pasta Roni Fettucine Alfredo (450 calories)
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.