Attica, New Zealand-born chef Ben Shewry’s spectacular and uncompromising restaurant in the Melbourne suburb of Ripponlea has been named Number 32 in the annual World’s 50 Best Restaurants Awards, announced in London early this morning.
It’s the third time Attica has made the cut and for the second year in a row, it’s the only Australian restaurant to make the 50 best list.
Last week, three Australian restaurants were named in the top 100, including Peter Gilmore’s Quay, in Sydney, a former top 50 restaurant, at 58, followed by Martin Benn’s Sepia at 84 and Dan Hunter’s Brae, in Victoria’s Birregurra, at 87.
Sepia was named the restaurant to watch for next year’s awards.
Spain’s El Celler de Can Roca was named No. 1 for the second time, having pipped last year’s winner, Rene Redzepi’s Copenhagen restaurant, Noma, which slipped to 3rd place.
Italian chef Massimo Bottura’s Osteria Francescana moved to No.2 after two years in third place.
Shewry, who champions sustainable produce and grows his own vegetables in the gardens of the nearby Rippon Lea Estate, was in London to receive his award and told Business Insider he was “super happy for my team at home and for Attica”.
“It feels incredible to be included again and is a huge honour,” he said.
Two other expat Australians performed well in the 2015 list, with David Thompson’s Bangkok restaurant, Namh, at No. 22 and former Newcastle chef Brett Graham at 20 with his London restaurant, The Ledbury.
Fans of the new Surry Hills restaurant Firebox, run by Lennox Hastie, should note that the highest climber in this year’s awards is Spain’s Asador Extebarri, at 13, the restaurant where Hastie was sous chef for several years.
And Dinner by Heston Blumenthal in London is No. 7. A second version of Dinner opens at Melbourne’s Crown Resort later this year.
Spain dominated the 50 best list this year with seven listings, including Mugaritz at No. 6 and Tickets in Barcelona, the new tapas bar by Albert and Ferran Adrià of El Bulli fame, making its debut at no. 42. Albert Adrià was also named the 2015 World’s Best Pastry Chef.
South America remains a favourite flavour with the nearly 1000 chefs, restaurateurs and food journalists who vote in the awards, with nine restaurants listed from across the region. The USA’s six listings pipped France’s five.
Here’s full list of the World’s 50 Best Restaurants:
1. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona (Spain)
2. Osteria Francescana, Modena (Italy)
3. Noma, Copenhagen (Denmark)
4. Central, Lima (Peru)
5. Eleven Madison Park, New York (USA)
6. Mugaritz, San Sebastian (Spain)
7. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London (UK)
8. Narisawa, Tokyo (Japan)
9. D.O.M., Sao Paulo (Brazil)
10. Gaggan, Bangkok (Thailand)
11. Mirazur, Menton (France)
12. Arpège, Paris (France)
13. Asador Etxebarri, Atxondo (Spain)
14. Astrid Y Gastón, Lima (Peru)
15. Steirereck, Vienna (Austria)
16. Pujol, Mexico City (Mexico)
17. Arzak, San Sebastian (Spain)
18. Le Bernardin, New York (USA)
19. Azurmendi, Larrabetzu (Spain)
20. The Ledbury, London (UK)
21. Le Chateaubriand, Paris (France)
22. Nahm, Bangkok (Thailand)
23. White Rabbit, Moscow (Russia)
24. Ultraviolet, Shanghai (China)
25. Fäviken, Järpen (Sweden)
26. Alinea, Chicago (USA)
27. Piazza Duomo, Alba (Italy)
28. The Test Kitchen, Cape Town (South Africa)
29. Nihonryori RyuGin, Tokyo (Japan)
30. Vendôme, Bergisch Gladbach (Germany)
31. Restaurant Frantzén, Stockholm (Sweden)
32. Attica, Melbourne (Australia)
33. Aqua, Wolfsburg (Germany)
34. Le Calandre, Rubano (Italy)
35. Quintonil, Mexico City (Mexico)
36. L’Astrance, Paris (France)
37. Biko, Mexico City (Mexico)
38. Amber, Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
39. Quique Dacosta, Denia (Spain)
40. Per Se, New York (USA)
41. Mani, Sao Paulo (Brazil)
42. Tickets, Barcelona (Spain) and Boragò, Santiago (Chile)
44. Maido, Lima (Peru)
45. Relae, Copenhagen (Denmark)
46. Restaurant André, Singapore (Singapore)
47. Alain Ducasse au Plaza Aathénée, Paris (France)
48. Schloss Schauenstein, Fürstenau (Switzerland)
49. Blue Hill at Stone Barms, Tarrytown (USA)
50. The French Laundry, Yountville (USA)
NOW WATCH: Executive Life videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.