Woolworths and Coles pre-packed salads recalled after 28 people get salmonella poisoning

Photo: Getty Images

People have been warned not to eat pre-packed lettuce from Victorian-based company Tripod Farmers after 28 adults were confirmed to have salmonella poisoning.

The lettuce is sold through both Coles and Woolworths supermarkets and includes brands such as Coles 4 leaf mix, Woolworths salad mix, SupaSalad Supamix and Wash N Toss salad mix.

All up, 24 products are involved, featuring rocket, spinach, mixed leaves, kale, watercress, sorrel and baby cos.

An urgent recall has been issued for all the products with best before dates leading up to and including February 14.

These are the products recalled:

Woolworths Spinach 100gm
Woolworths Rocket 100gm
Woolworths Salad Mix 100gm

Wash N Toss Watercress 100gm
Wash N Toss Sorrell 50gm
Wash N Toss Baby Cos 100gm
Wash N Toss Spinach 100gm
Wash N Toss Salad Mix 100gm
Wash N Toss Rocket 100gm
Wash N Toss Kale 100gm

Coles Spinach 60gm
Coles Rocket 60gm
Coles Rocket 120gm
Coles Spinach & Rocket 120g
Coles Spinach 120gm
Coles 4Leaf 120gm
Coles 4Leaf 200gm

SupaSalad 180gm
SupaSalad Green Coral 180gm
SupaSalad Supamix 1kg
SupaSalad Spinach 1kg
SupaSalad Rocket 1kg
SupaSalad Baby Cos 1kg
SupaSalad Spinach 180g

Victorian Department of Health and Human Services senior medical advisor Dr Finn Romanes said people should either return them to where they bought them or throw them away.

Authorities have diagnosed 28 people with the Salmonella anatum strain.

“As a result of following up the food histories of a number of people we have discovered a common source – the Tripod Farmers lettuce,” Dr Romanes said.

“Tests of three products from two batches have also tested positive for Salmonella anatum bacterium.”

Tripod Farmers is issuing a national voluntary product recall and a full and thorough clean-up has been carried out.

The severity of symptoms depends on the number of bacteria ingested, age and general health.

Symptoms of salmonellosis usually occur between 6 to 72 hours after the bacteria is ingested. The most common symptoms include: diarrhoea, which may contain blood or mucous; fever; headache; stomach cramps; nausea; vomiting, and dehydration, especially among infants and the elderly.

NSW Health said that so far there have been no reported cases in NSW linked to consumption of the salad leaves.

NOW WATCH: Briefing videos

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.