- Billie Eilish has been defended by the rock band Van Halen after the 17-year-old singer told Jimmy Kimmel she didn’t know who they were.
- The band’s 28-year-old bassist, Wolfgang Van Halen, who is the son of the band founder Eddie, wrote on Twitter on Monday night: “If you haven’t heard of @billieeilish, go check her out. She’s cool. If you haven’t heard of @VanHalen go check them out. They’re cool.”
- On “Jimmy Kimmel Live” on November 22, the television host poked fun at the singer’s age by asking her whether she could name a Van Halen band member, to which Eilish responded, “Who?”
- The 1980s rock band most recently performed together back in October 2015, when Eilish was just 13 years old.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
On Twitter on Monday, the band’s 28-year-old bassist, Wolfgang Van Halen, the son of the founding member Eddie, told fans to check out the 17-year-old singer.
“If you haven’t heard of @billieeilish, go check her out. She’s cool. If you haven’t heard of @VanHalen, go check them out. They’re cool too,” he tweeted.
Wolfgang Van Halen also told people who had criticised Eilish after the Kimmel interview not to “shame others for not knowing what you like.”
Music is supposed to bring us together, not divide us. Listen to what you want and don’t shame others for not knowing what you like.
— Wolf Van Halen (@WolfVanHalen) December 2, 2019
The ’90s rock band Smash Mouth, popular for its songs “All Star” and “I’m a Believer,” also defended Eilish, tweeting: “We grew up listening to #VanHalen and we’re old as fck so why would @billieeilish know who they are? #NoDiss.”
— Smash Mouth (@smashmouth) December 2, 2019
Van Halen, which won a Grammy back in 1991 for best hard rock performance and was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2007, hasn’t performed since October 2015. Eilish was only 13 at the time.
The band is also said to have no plans to tour anytime soon, with its frontman David Lee Roth saying in recent interviews that the band was “finished,” according to Rolling Stone.
- Read more:
- Billie Eilish did the same interview for a 3rd year in a row, and it really shows how she’s grown
- How New Artist of the Year, Billie Eilish, harnesses the power of ASMR in her music
- Eddie Van Halen thinks he developed cancer from sucking on metal guitar picks, but a doctor says this probably isn’t true
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.