- On the season three premiere of “Red Table Talk” on Facebook Watch, Jada Pinkett Smith, daughter Willow Smith, and mother Adrienne Banfield Norris opened up about the recent moments when they felt most vulnerable.
- Pinkett Smith said that talking about her “entanglement” with musician August Alsina (which took place when she and husband Will Smith had a breakup in their marriage) on “RTT” in July was “the total breakdown of any mask.”
- Willow told her mum that she was “proud” of her for speaking up publicly.
- “To be able to see you and dad do that, for me, that was like, ‘OK, that’s the real deal. That’s real love,'” she said.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
“I’m so proud of you. To be able to see you and dad do that, for me, that was like, ‘OK, that’s the real deal. That’s real love,'” she told Pinkett Smith during the season three premiere of their Facebook Watch series “Red Table Talk.”
The 19-year-old star and Pinkett Smith were joined by Adrienne Banfield Norris (Pinkett Smith’s mother) to discuss vulnerability, shame, and guilt with expert BrenÃ© Brown.
Pinkett Smith said that the most recent moment when she felt vulnerable was during the previous episode of “RTT” (released in July), in which she sat down with Smith and spoke candidly about being in a relationship with Alsina during a breakup in her marriage to her husband.
The “Girls Trip” star described the episode as a “full blast of, like, flaws, and feeling and just the total breakdown of any mask.”
That prompted Willow to applaud her parents for publicly addressing the situation.
“When you can be like, ‘I’m with you. I’m gonna stand by you and I’m gonna hold your hand because I love you. That’s what we do,’ that’s really important,” she said.
During a prior episode of “RTT,” titled “Jada Brings Herself to the Table,” Pinkett Smith addressed speculation about her personal life after Alsina, a musician, said that they had a relationship “for years.”
Pinkett Smith confirmed his comments on “RTT,” saying that their “entanglement” began approximately four years ago when she and Smith were “going through a difficult time.”
The “Gotham” alum said that they “became really, really good friends,” and she grew closer to him because she wanted to “help his health” and “his mental state.”
The “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” star said that he and Pinkett Smith met Alsina during a time when the musician’s health was unstable. It was also around that time that when Smith decided that he was “done” with Pinkett Smith, who he’s been married to since December 1997.
Pinkett Smith added they “were separated amicably” and clarified that Alsina was “not a homewrecker.”
She also said that she doesn’t view their “entanglement” as a “transgression” in her marriage to Smith, since they were separated at the time.
Near the conclusion of the episode, the “Aladdin” star said that he and Pinkett Smith “have really gotten to that new place of unconditional love.” The actor also credited their longstanding marriage to their “ride or die” mentality.
Watch the latest “RTT” episode in the video below.
- Read more:
- Jada Pinkett Smith confirms that she had a relationship with August Alsina during a breakup in her marriage to Will Smith: ‘We were over’
- Will Smith says his daughter Willow ‘introduced me to feelings’ and ‘destroyed’ all his ideas about parenting
- Jada Pinkett Smith says she learned she doesn’t know Will Smith ‘at all’ while self-isolating together
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.