- On the season three premiere of “Red Table Talk” on Facebook Watch, Willow Smith spoke about the last time she felt most vulnerable.
- The star, who’s the daughter of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith said that she felt vulnerable when she opened up about her past self-harm during a 2018 episode of “RTT.”
- At the time, Smith revealed that she cut her wrists after questioning her identity and purpose following the release of her hit 2010 single “Whip My Hair.”
- “Looking back, it makes me feel even stronger because so many people DMed me or talked to me and were like, ‘That really helped me,'” Smith said on the most recent episode of “RTT.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
“Looking back, it makes me feel even stronger because so many people DMed me or talked to me and were like, ‘That really helped me,'” the 19-year-old star, who’s the daughter of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith, said during the season three premiere of the Facebook Watch series “Red Table Talk.”
During the episode, Smith was joined by Pinkett Smith and Adrienne Banfield Norris (Pinkett Smith’s mother) to discuss vulnerability, shame, and guilt with expert BrenÃ© Brown.
Smith previously spoke about self-harm on an episode of “RTT” that was released in May 2018, titled “Surviving Loss.” The musician said that she struggled around the age of 11, after the release of her hit 2010 single “Whip My Hair.”
Smith said that she questioned her identity and purpose at the time.
“It was like a kind of lull, I was just listening to a lot of dark music,” Smith said. “It was just so crazy and I was just plunged into this black hole, and I was, like, cutting myself.”
The comment came as a surprise to Pinkett Smith, who was unaware that her daughter harmed herself.
“Totally lost my sanity for a moment there,” Smith said, adding that it was a short period of her life and she stopped one night after realising that it was “psychotic.”
Watch the full episode of “Red Table Talk” in the video below (Willow Smith talks about her moment of vulnerability at 4:49).
- Read more:
- Willow Smith says that Jada talking with Will about her ‘entanglement’ on ‘Red Table Talk’ showed that the couple has ‘real love’
- Jada Pinkett Smith confirms that she had a relationship with August Alsina during a breakup in her marriage to Will Smith: ‘We were over’
- Will Smith says his daughter Willow ‘introduced me to feelings’ and ‘destroyed’ all his ideas about parenting
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.