- If your iPhone camera won’t work, there are a number of quick fixes you can try.
- To diagnose if it’s just the Camera app that won’t work, check other apps that also use the camera, like FaceTime or Instagram.
- To fix your iPhone camera, you should close and reopen the Camera app, as well as restart your phone and make sure it’s updated to the latest iOS.
- If this doesn’t work, you could try resetting your iPhone to its factory settings – back it up first so you don’t lose all your data – or contact Apple for further support.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
For most people, the smartphone has become their primary camera. So if your iPhone camera isn’t working, it’s unlikely you also have a trusty DSLR camera tucked into your backpack.
Here’s how to do it.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Why your iPhone camera won’t work, and how to fix it
If your camera is showing a black screen when loaded, is slow or lagging when you tap to snap, or is having other performance issues, first check if it’s the Camera app itself. You can do this by launching another app that uses the iPhone cameras, like FaceTime or Instagram.
If the camera is working in other apps, then double-tap the home button on an iPhone 8 or earlier, or swipe up from the bottom of your screen on an iPhone X or later to then swipe up on the Camera app and force it closed, then try the app again. If it’s still glitchy, shut your phone down and wait a minute, then power it on and try again.
If restarting your phone didn’t fix the camera, try updating it. Launch the Settings app and look for any iOS updates, which will display at the top of the Settings screen.
Still no luck? Then reset the phone. In the Settings app, go to General, then scroll down and tap Reset. On the next screen, tap Reset All Settings and confirm.
If your iPhone camera is still not working, you should contact Apple for support. You may also want to try resetting your iPhone to its factory settings, although you will lose all your data, so make sure to back it up before proceeding with this option.
- embed type
Read more coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.