- If your PayPal money is pending, it is because the online payment service holds funds in certain cases.
- PayPal may place your funds on hold for up to 21 days until the buyer confirms receipt.
- Here are five reasons why your PayPal money might be pending, and three ways to expedite the release of funds.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
When a buyer makes a purchase and uses PayPal, the online payment service may put the money on hold for up to 21 days in certain instances.
The funds will be released when the buyer confirms that he or she has received the item in the promised condition. You can also expedite the release of funds in a few ways.
Here’s why your PayPal money is pending, and how to expedite it
There are a number of reasons for why funds could be placed on hold, including:
1. You’re new to selling. New sellers need to build up their buyer-seller credibility and history. Once you’ve established a successful transaction record, your status can change.
2. You haven’t sold anything in a long time.Similar to being a first-time seller, if you haven’t sold an item in a while, you’ll need to rebuild your credibility.
3. Customers filed formal complaints for a refund, dispute, or chargeback. If you’ve been flagged by multiple customers for various issues, PayPal may delay the availability of your funds. According to PayPal, the best way to remedy this is to work directly with buyers to ensure that issues are resolved as quickly as possible. To prevent complaints, be up front about shipping costs, item condition, and return policy. You can also set up a customer service message to let customers know if an extreme incident – like a natural disaster in your area – is preventing you from shipping on time.
4. You have a suspicious selling pattern. PayPal will flag an account that has unusual activity, including a higher than normal selling pattern or a distinct change in the type of items sold.
5. You’re selling riskier items. Examples of these kinds of items include tickets, gift cards, consumer electronics, computers, and travel packages – anything that is more expensive or event-related.
In such instances, funds will be held for 21 days by default, but sellers can take action to expedite their availability. This can include:
- Printing a USPS or UPS shipping label: If you print a shipping label directly from PayPal, the tracking number and delivery confirmation will be automatically uploaded. Provided that the package is delivered without incident, the funds can be released three days after delivery.
- Adding tracking information: If you print your own shipping label outside of the PayPal platform, be sure to upload your tracking information so that PayPal can verify that the package was shipped and delivered. Similar to the above step, the funds will be released three days after delivery.
- Notify buyer to confirm order: Once your buyer confirms that they have received the item, your funds will be released.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.