Whole Foods just got less expensive.
On Monday, the day that Amazon’s $US13.7 billion acquisition of the grocer went through, prices on certain Whole Foods items immediately dropped.
“Starting Monday, Whole Foods Market will offer lower prices on a selection of best-selling staples across its stores, with much more to come,” the companies said in a press release on Thursday.
In the release, Amazon and Whole Foods specifically mentioned certain items that would become less expensive when the acquisition was finalised.
On Friday, Business Insider visited a Whole Foods location in the Gowanus neighbourhood of Brooklyn, New York, and checked the prices on 15 items (including a few variations on similar items) mentioned by the companies. The total cost of the basket on Friday — pre-acquisition — was $US97.76.
On Monday, we returned to the Gowanus Whole Foods and checked back in on the same items. This time, the total cost of the 15 items was $US75.85. That’s a nearly 23% drop in the total cost.
Some of the new discounts nearly cut prices in half. Bananas, for example, used to be sold for $US0.79 a pound. Now they cost $US0.49 a pound. The price of local grass-fed 85% lean ground beef went to $US6.99 a pound from $US10.99.
Whole Foods is labelling the price cuts as “New Lower Price,” with the tag “Whole Foods + Amazon.”
Here’s how much money customers are now saving on these 15 items:
- Whole Trade Banana: 30 cents (Price dropped to $US0.49 a pound from $US0.79)
- 85% Lean Ground Beef: $US2 (Price dropped to $US4.99 a pound from $US6.99)
- Local Grass-Fed 85% Lean Ground Beef: $US4 (Price dropped to $US6.99 a pound from $US10.99)
- Four-pack of Organic Avocado: $US0 (Price stayed at $US6.99 for a pack of four)
- Hass Avocados: $US1.01 (Price dropped to $US1.49 each from $US2.50)
- Organic Large Brown Eggs: 30 cents (Price dropped to $US3.99 from $US4.29 for a dozen )
- Fresh Atlantic Salmon Fillet: $US5 (Price dropped to $US9.99 a pound from $US14.99)
- Frozen Atlantic Salmon Fillet: $US0 (Price stayed at $US10.49 a pound)
- Fresh Tilapia Fillet: $US4 (Price dropped to $US7.99 a pound from $US11.99)
- Organic Baby Kale: 50 cents (Price dropped to $US3.49 a pack from $US3.99)
- Organic Baby Lettuce: 50 cents (Price dropped to $US3.49 a pack from $US3.99)
- 365 Brand Almond Butter: $US1 (Price dropped to $US6.99 a jar from $US7.99)
- Organic Fuji Apples: $US1.50 (Price dropped to $US1.99 a pound from $US3.49)
- Organic Gala Apples: $US1 (Price dropped to $US1.99 a pound from $US2.99)
- Organic 365 Brand Butter: 80 cents (Price dropped to $US4.49 for four quarters from $US5.29)
Here’s a chart showing each item and the discounts:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.