- White House principal deputy press secretary Raj Shah said on Monday that the White House is denying all the claims adult-film actor Stormy Daniels made in her “60 Minutes” interview that aired Sunday.
- He also said the White House does not believe she was threatened into silence on the issue.
- Daniels said a direct threat had been made against her and her daughter in 2011.
Following adult-film actor Stormy Daniels’ widely watched “60 Minutes” interview about her alleged affair with US President Donald Trump, the White House is denying that any of her claims – including that she was threatened into silence – were accurate.
White House principal deputy press secretary Raj Shah told reporters at Monday’s White House press briefing that Trump was standing by his version of the story.
“I can say categorically obviously that the White House did not engage in any wrongdoing. The campaign or Mr. Cohen can address anything with respect to their actions,” Shah said, referencing Trump’s lawyer Michael Cohen who reportedly paid Daniels $US130,000 just days before the 2016 election to stay silent about the allegations.
“With respect to that interview, I will say that the president strongly, clearly, and has consistently denied these underlying claims, and the only one who has been inconsistent is the one making the claims,” Shah said.
Shah did not elaborate on why the White House believed Daniels’ claims were inconsistent.
In her interview, Daniels laid out the details and timeline of her alleged affair with Trump in 2006, in which she said the pair had unprotected sex and that Trump had compared her to his daughter Ivanka.
She also stated that she had been intimidated into silence about the affair in Las Vegas in 2011, around the time she was trying to sell her story to various publications.
She said the threat took place as she was about to go to a fitness class with her infant daughter.
“And a guy walked up on me and said to me, ‘Leave Trump alone. Forget the story,'” Daniels told CNN’s Anderson Cooper on “60 Minutes.” “And then he leaned around and looked at my daughter and said, ‘That’s a beautiful little girl. It’d be a shame if something happened to her mum.’ And then he was gone.”
“I was rattled,” she added. “I remember going into the workout class. And my hands are shaking so much, I was afraid I was going to drop her.”
Shah told reporters that the White House does not believe that this threat was made, and said there is no corroborating evidence to support it.