There’s some debate about how to survive the Zombie Apocalypse. Some say science will save us all, some will rely on maths, and still others are banking on specialty gadgets. You can buy Zombie Apocalypse survival kits, and there are even Zombie Apocalypse maps that pinpoint where the danger zones would be in a zombie-mergency.
But the geniuses at Estately have crunched the numbers and determined which U.S. states are the best prepared for any zombie-related disasters in the near future based on 11 metrics, from residents’ physical ability to weapons access.
We weren’t kidding when we said Estately crunched the numbers for all sorts of zombie-busting factors. Here’s what the company looked at for each state:
- Active Military Personnel per capita (based on data from the U.S. Census)
- Military Veterans per capita (based on data from the U.S. Census)
- Physical Inactivity (based on the CDC’s 2012 Behavioural Risk Factor Surveillance System)
- Martial Arts Enthusiasts (based on percentage Facebook users who list “martial arts” as an interest)
- General Interest In Survival Skills (based on percentage Facebook users who list “survival skills” as an interest)
- People With Knowledge Of Zombie Lore (based on percentages of Facebook users who listed “zombies, ‘Resident Evil,’ ‘Zombieland,’ and ‘The Walking Dead'” as interests)
- Laser Tag Enthusiasts (based on percentage Facebook users who list “laser tag” as an interest)
- People With Guns (based on 2012 data from the FBI)
- Obesity (based on the CDC’s 2012 Behavioural Risk Factor Surveillance System)
- Paintball Enthusiasts (based on percentage Facebook users who list “paintball” as an interest)
- Triathletes (based on percentage Facebook users who list “Ironman triathlon” as an interest)
What Estately found was that rural states will offer favourable odds for any survivors, while a majority of the Northeast and South will degenerate immediately into a zombie-filled hellscape.
Alaska would be the most prepared state, thanks to a large percentage of military personnel and veterans, whereas New Jersey residents would be the least prepared, and should resign themselves to becoming zombies from Day 1.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.