President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump announced on Wednesday a personal donation of $US1 million to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts. The money will go to twelve organisations, including the Red Cross, Salvation Army, and the ASPCA.
Hurricane Harvey, which ripped through Houston and parts of the Texas coastline, covered much of the city in water, destroying homes and displacing thousands of residents.
The Trumps visited Texas during the immediate aftermath of the storm, where they met with officials and oversaw relief work conducted by both federal agencies and volunteer groups.
The White House notes that many of the organisations the Trumps donated to were recommended by members of the White House press corps.
Here’s where the money is going:
- Red Cross — $US300,000
- Salvation Army — $US300,000
- Reach Out America — $US100,000
- Samaritan’s Purse — $US100,000
- ASPCA — $US25,000
- Catholic Charities — $US25,000
- Direct Relief — $US25,000
- Habitat for Humanity — $US25,000
- Houston Humane Society — $US25,000
- Operation Blessing — $US25,000
- Portlight Inclusive Disaster Strategies — $US25,000
- Team Rubicon — $US25,0000
Trump landed in hot water during the 2016 campaign when reporters dug into his claims that he donated $US1 million to the fundraiser he held for veterans in lieu of attending a Republican debate that year. Reporters had a hard time confirming how much money has actually been distributed to veterans groups.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.