- Starbucks locations across the United States are closing on Tuesday, starting at around 2:00 p.m. local time.
- About 7,000 locations in grocery stores, airports, and other licensed coffee shops will remain open.
- Starbucks is closing company-owned stores for racial-bias training after two black men were arrested at a Philadelphia Starbucks in April.
Starbucks stores across the United States are closing in the afternoon on Tuesday. But, there is still time to get your java fix.
When stores are closing
A spokesperson told Business Insider that the closures start around 2:00 p.m., but closures are starting at slightly different times across the US. Most closures appear to be starting at around 2:30 p.m. local time, according to Starbucks’ website.
The stores will remain closed for the rest of the day as employees go through training on racial biases. Starbucks locations will open with normal hours on Wednesday.
You can check the hours at your local Starbucks on the company’s website.
Certain stores are staying open
While roughly 8,000 stores are closing, the remaining 7,000 licensed Starbucks stores, which are located in airports, hotels, grocery stores, and universities are not expected to close, Starbucks stated on its website.
Most licensed shops, such as those in grocery stores or airports, will maintain normal hours. You can check the hours at your local Starbucks on the company’s website.
Target confirmed that the Starbucks coffee shops in its stores will remain open on Tuesday, and the staff will be required to attend its own company bias training – rolled out in 2017 – in the future.
Kroger is another store where Starbucks coffee shops will remain open.
“Our Starbucks shops will remain open today as the locations are operated and staffed by Kroger associates. We are providing our associates with training this year that focuses on our values and how we care for our customers, communities, and each other,” a spokesperson for the company told Business Insider.
Read more about Starbucks’ closures:
- Starbucks is closing all of its US locations early Tuesday. Here’s what you need to know.
- Starbucks is closing all locations for ‘racial-bias education’ – and it is going to cost the company millions of dollars
- Starbucks is closing all locations in response to the arrest of 2 black men who tried to use a store’s bathroom – and it’s sparking a culture war on all sides
- Internet trolls are spreading fake Starbucks coupons exclusively for black customers after the chain announced it would close all stores for ‘racial-bias education’
- Starbucks is doing something it has only done once before – and last time it cost the company $US6 million
- Video shows a black man confronting a Starbucks barista about why he was apparently denied access to bathroom while a white man was not
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.