Here's what we know about the van ride that may have killed Freddie Grey

Baltimore Police Van Freddie GreyAP Photo/Alex BrandonA police transport van stands open after a march to City Hall for Freddie Grey, Saturday, April 25, 2015 in Baltimore.

Baltimore state attorney Marilyn Mosby discussed details Friday about the police van ride that likely led to the death of 25-year-old Freddie Grey.

Grey was arrested last month for supposed possession of a switchblade and died a week later after suffering a severe spinal cord injury sustained during a 45-minute ride in a police van.

“Mr. Grey suffered a severe and critical neck injury as a result of being handcuffed, shackled by his feet and unrestrained inside of the BPD wagon,” Mosby said at a press conference Friday announcing charges against the six officers involved in his arrest.

After placing Grey in the van, officers stopped at least four other times but never properly secured him with a seat belt like he should have been, Mosby said at the press conference, The Baltimore Sun reports. They also allegedly failed to give him medical attention even though he asked for it twice, according to Reuters.

Previously, Baltimore police had “acknowledged that officers violated protocol by not buckling in Grey and providing medical help when he asked for it,” The Baltimore Sun reported Thursday.

Baltimore state attorney Marilyn MosbyREUTERS/Adrees LatifBaltimore state attorney Marilyn Mosby speaks on recent violence and says there is ‘probable cause to file criminal charges in the Freddie Grey case’ of officers involved in the arrest of the black man who later died of injuries he sustained while in custody in Baltimore, Maryland May 1, 2015.

On Thursday, The New York Times has a good breakdown based on police statements of the various stops the police van made before eventually arriving at a Baltimore police station roughly 45 minutes after Grey’s arrest. Grey was reportedly dragged limp into the van after requesting his inhaler around 8:42 a.m., according to The Times. Officers stopped the van four minutes later, The Times reports, to place Grey in leg shackles after the driver complained that Grey was “acting irate in the back.”

At some point before 9 a.m., the van made a second stop, for still-unknown reasons.

At 8:59 a.m., the van stopped again after the driver asked that Grey be checked on, The Times reports. A fourth and final stop was made shortly after, according to The Times, to pick up another prisoner.

When the police van arrived at Western District Police Station at 9:24 a.m., Grey was in cardiac arrest and not breathing. He died a week later. At her press conference Friday, Mosby said he never should have been arrested in the first place because the knife he had was not a switchblade.

NOW WATCH: Briefing videos

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.