Besides someone who won’t pull an “All About Eve”?
Here’s a list.
Forbes: There’s the obvious—dependable, can type, looks like a human, speaks English, etc. —but beyond that seek out someone who…
- You actually like and get along with
- Isn’t judgy
- Can be discreet (up to you if you want them to sign an NDA but those are oftentimes pretty worthless)
- Doesn’t try to be your best friend but sees themselves as a partner
- Wants to be a career assistant not using it as a stepping stone
- Is likable. If people don’t like your assistant they won’t like you
- Catches on to things quickly
- Won’t get offended if you yell and slip into the occasional Ari Gold moment
To that add that you have to do your part. “Please,” “Thank you,” “I appreciate it,” “You look great today” all go a long, long way.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.