If you use Snapchat, you might have noticed emojis next to some of your friends’ names within the app — as below.
You’d be forgiven for thinking they are totally random, but they are based very specifically on how often you interact with each friend on Snapchat. Only you can see your “friend emojis.”
There are 11 different emojis, — here’s what they each mean:
- ???? Gold Heart: You are Best Friends — You send the most Snaps to this Snapchatter, and they send the most Snaps to you too
- Red Heart: You have been each other’s #1 Best Friend for at least two weeks
- ???? Pink Hearts: You have been each other’s #1 Best Friend for at least two months
- ???? Grimace: You share a Best Friend — Your Best Friend is also this Snapchatter’s Best Friend
- ???? Smile: One of your Best Friends — This is a Snapchatter you send a lot of Snaps to (but isn’t your Best Friend)
- ???? Sunglasses: You share a Close Friend — One of your Best Friends is also one of this Snapchatter’s Best Friends
- ???? Smirk: You’re their Best Friend, but they aren’t your Best Friend — You’re someone they send the most Snaps to, but they aren’t someone you send Snaps to the most
- ???? Fire: You’re on a Snapstreak! — Appears next to the number of days that you and a friend have Snapped each other. If you AND your friend don’t both send a Snap within 24 hours, you will lose your Snapstreaks
- ⌛️ Hourglass: Appears next to someone’s name if your Snapstreak is going to end soon. Send each other a Snap (not a Chat) to keep your streak alive
- ???? Baby: You just became friends
- ???? Birthday Cake: It’s your friend’s birthday — Appears next to your friend’s name on the date they entered as their birthday on Snapchat
And if you’re not happy with the emoji Snapchat has chosen to represent your friendship on Snapcat, you can customise your own:
- Tap in the top right hand corner of your Profile screen.
- Tap “Manage” under the “Additional Services” section.
- Tap “Friend Emojis”.
- Tap the Friend Emoji you would like to change, then choose an emoji.
NOW WATCH: Tech Insider videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.