Photo: Jake Baldino on Twitter
Yesterday, legions of New Yorkers crowded into grocery stores to prepare for Hurricane Sandy. Manhattan blog West Side Rag took pictures of the carnage at Trader Joe’s on the Upper West Side after hundreds of people lined up to get in the store.
The Trader Joe’s sold out of some surprising items, while multitudes of other items remained. See their full post here.
The key findings:
- The store sold out of bread and bagels, but there was still tons of pita bread on the shelves.
- Turkey burgers were sold out. There was plenty of fish and sausage, though.
- Newman’s Own pasta sauce sold out, while brands like Prego and Classico were still on the shelves.
- Barilla Plus whole wheat pasta sold out. The white pasta remained.
- Cheerios (original and honey nut) sold out.
- Original flavours of Oreo and Chip’s Ahoy cookies sold out.
- Scallions sold out, while most other produce remained.
The Huffington Post also did an analysis of items flying off the shelves at New York grocery stores.
- Bottled water sold out in most varieties.
- Selection of Progresso Soup was sparse by the end of the day, while there was still plenty of Campbell’s.
- Eggs nearly sold out at a Trader Joe’s in Brooklyn.
- Shoppers snatched up energy bars.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.