- On Monday, the International Association of Fire Fighters endorsed former Vice President Joe Biden for president in the upcoming 2020 election.
- Apparently in response, on Wednesday, President Donald Trump retweeted dozens of people claiming to be firefighters who supported him.
- Using data from the Bureau of Labour Statistics, we made the above map showing what the typical firefighter earns in every state.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Firefighters are a surprisingly contentious political topic this week.
On Monday, the International Association of Fire Fighters, one of the main unions representing firefighters in the US, endorsed former Vice President Joe Biden for president in the upcoming 2020 election.
Apparently in response to the endorsement, President Donald Trump took to Twitter, writing “I’ve done more for Firefighters than this dues sucking union will ever do, and I get paid ZERO!”
Trump then retweeted several dozen people claiming to be firefighters who supported him.
Using data from the Bureau of Labour Statistics’ Occupational Employment Statistics Program, we made the above map showing what the typical firefighter makes annually across the country. Nationally, the median annual wage for firefighters was $US49,620. In the states, median pay ranges from $US28,200 in Louisiana to $US81,240 in New York.
In the key presidential swing state of Pennsylvania, the typical firefighter earned about $US58,200, above the national median, while in Michigan and Wisconsin, median pay was a bit lower than the national baseline.
- Read more:
- The 15 states with the smallest middle class
- 37 US jobs that are disappearing at an alarming rate
- This map shows the highest-paying job in every state, excluding doctors
- Here are the US counties where more people are dying than being born
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.