- Tropical Storm Dorian in the Atlantic is expected to strengthen to a Category 1 hurricane this week.
- Hurricanes that hit the US East Coast and Caribbean islands tend to follow a similar course. That’s because most come from the same place in the world.
- There’s a point off the coast of West Africa near Cape Verde where dry, hot air from the Sahara desert meets with the cool, moist air from the south.
- These powerful winds are known as the African Easterly Jet.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This video was originally published on September 8, 2017.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.