- Various medical specialisations are the highest paying job in 43 US states.
- Using data from the Bureau of Labour Statistics, we found the highest-paying job, excluding doctors and dentists, in each state.
- CEOs are at the top of the list in 27 states and DC.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Doctors make a lot of money across the board, but other professions can also be very lucrative.
Medical doctors of various specialisations are the highest-paying job in 43 US states. We decided to take a look at high-paying jobs outside of the medical field.
Using salary and employment data from the Bureau of Labour Statistics’ Occupational Employment Statistics program, we found the job with the highest average salary in 2018, the most recent year for which data is available, in every state among occupations with at least 1,000 employees in-state, excluding several professions for medical doctors and dentists.
CEOs dominate the non-medical occupations, with chief executives being the highest-paying occupation in 27 states and DC. Airline pilots, co-pilots, and flight engineers are the top-paying jobs other than doctors in six states.
- Read more:
- 62 families own a surprisingly large chunk of US land, and much of it has been passed down since the 19th century
- The 15 states with the smallest middle class
- 37 US jobs that are disappearing at an alarming rate
- This map shows where each state’s largest immigrant group comes from, excluding Mexico
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.