- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, announced they named their son Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor on Wednesday.
- His first name, Archie, is a Scottish baby name meaning “genuine and bold,” and has grown in popularity in England and Wales for the last decade.
- His middle name, Harrison, seems quite fitting for the family as it means “son of Harry.”
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have announced they named their son Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor. Here’s what the new royal baby’s name actually means.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex revealed his name in an Instagram post on Wednesday, showing the couple introducing him to members of the royal family, including the Queen.
His first name, Archie, is a Scottish baby name meaning “genuine and bold.” It can also mean “bald” when referring to the shaven head of a monk, and was introduced in England during the Norman Conquest in the 11th Century.
His middle name, Harrison, seems quite fitting, as it means “son of Harry.”
While Archie is often a nickname for Archibald, the shorter name is the newborn’s full first name.
The name Archie has grown in popularity as a baby name in England and Wales since the early 2000s. As of 2017, it was the 18th most popular boy baby name in England and Wales.
BBC royal correspondent Jonny Dymond said naming the newborn Archie could indicate that Harry and Meghan “don’t want to bring him up very ‘royal.'”
While it is unclear if there is any deep tie to the name Archie, the name could be a reference to Princess Diana’s ancestor Archibald Campbell, 9th Earl of Argyll, from Scotland, according to US Weekly.
Another reference could be Prince William’s friend Archie Soames, who was an usher at the wedding where Harry and Meghan made one of their first appearances together in 2017.
Soames, like William and Harry, studied at Eton. He is the great-grandson of Sir Winston Churchill and believed to be a close confidant to Prince William, according to the MailOnline.
The newborn does not have a confirmed royal title, and will instead be called “Master Archie.
- Read more:
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry just announced their baby’s name is Archie. From a $US200,000 baby shower to a $US500,000 maternity wardrobe, here’s how much Meghan’s pregnancy has cost
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry broke royal tradition hours after their first child was born. Here are 11 ways the couple is modernising the monarchy.
- 8 ways Meghan Markle’s royal baby birth is different from Kate Middleton’s
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have named their son Archie
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.