- A family in Pasadena, Texas, ordered their graduation cake from Walmart.
- But when they cut into it, the baked good wasn’t quite what they expected.
- It was made of Styrofoam and utterly inedible.
- The store has since apologised for the incident and offered the family a $US60 gift certificate.
- However, some family members are still upset.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Things didn’t exactly go according to plan for a Texas family who says their daughter’s graduation party was ruined by an inedible cake.
She said the trouble started the morning of the ceremony, when she discovered the store hadn’t yet prepared the two-tier cake she had ordered.
“They didn’t have our order,” she said. “They didn’t have anything ready.”
To make up for the mix-up, the store offered her a smaller cake, free of charge. They chose a blue cake because it matched the high school’s colours, according to Fox 35. The employee even offered to decorate the cake with graduation trinkets and pictures of Flores’ daughter, Lea Nava.
However, Flores said they soon found out that cake wasn’t a cake at all. It was a frosted, decorated slab of Styrofoam.
“I go to cut the cake and it was not budging,” Flores said.
Flores’ sister, Nellie, told Fox 35 that “everyone’s face changed. Everyone went into shock,” when they realised the cake was made out of Styrofoam.
Flores said she wanted her daughter’s party to go seamlessly and she was disappointed by this situation.
“This is my baby, and she was graduating, so it was very important to me,” she told KPRC.
“[The] incident was a result of a misunderstanding,” Walmart’s public affairs said in a statement to the local news outlet.
The family took the cake to Walmart, where store employees offered them a gift card in exchange for the incident.
But the family isn’t sure that this gesture is enough.
“They can’t replace the moment that we lost,” Flores said.
- Read more:
- A father interviewed his daughter on the first day of school for the past 13 years, and just released the video for her high school graduation
- A teen is using her graduation cap to honour kids who have been killed in school shootings
- A regional grocery chain censored ‘Summa Cum Laude’ on a $US70 graduation cake due to profanity
- A high school valedictorian’s graduation speech was cut short when she attempted to address her alleged sexual assault
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.