- INSIDER spoke with Ryan Hurst about joining AMC’s “The Walking Dead” as a member of the new villainous group, The Whisperers.
- Hurst told us what he would do if there was a real zombie apocalypse.
- The Beta actor told INSIDER he would try walking among the undead, just like his Whisperer group.
- He also said he would make sure he has a good pair of shoes, layers of clothes to prevent bites, and some gold teeth.
If a zombie apocalypse ever happened, do you know what you would do and where you would go?
Ryan Hurst, who plays villain Beta on AMC’s “The Walking Dead,” said he would try to blend in with the dead, like his character on the show.
“Sure, why not? You wear dead skin, everybody’s happy. They’re not gonna try to kill you,” Hurst told INSIDER of his zombie apocalypse plan. “They don’t know that you’re there. It’s zombie camouflage. It’s all good.”
Hurst points out other characters like Rick and Glenn knew from the start that camouflage was a good way to stay safe, for a while anyway. (It didn’t exactly work out for Father Gabriel who received an infection and lost partial eyesight.)
“All the other characters did it with their meat ponchos. That’s one way,” Hurst said of ways to blend in with the undead. “Ours is a little more stylish.”
That’s definitely one way to describe wearing dead people’s faces over your own. Hurst wouldn’t only rely on having a good face mask. He pointed out three other key survival items he would make sure to have.
“[A] good, comfortable pair of shoes, layer up so that they can’t bite through you, and make sure you got your teeth in order,” Hurst said, referencing several of his character’s gold teeth. “Then, the rest is easy.”
“The greatest part about the Whisperers is that they’re smart,” Hurst pointed out about a pro to going it with the undead. “If food and water are in high demand, what you have to do is preserve your energy. Stop fighting so much! Fighting takes energy! Just walk slow, talk low. You know what I mean? Blend in. Look, these zombies are going nowhere in a hurry. Just let everybody calm down.”
By the way Hurst sees it, Rick and the gang were taking the wrong approach for years. Would you try to blend in with the undead if there was a zombie apocalypse or would you try to find a safe space and group to survive alongside?
- Read more:
- Ryan Hurst wanted to be on ‘The Walking Dead’ so much he had his agent cold call the producers
- 7 details you may have missed on Sunday’s ‘The Walking Dead’
- The 10 ‘Walking Dead’ characters fans think are most likely to die next on the show
- Ryan Hurst teases the upcoming Daryl vs. Beta brawl on ‘The Walking Dead’: ‘It’s a 3-page fight scene’
- Ryan Hurst says Beta’s outfit on ‘The Walking Dead’ has a lot of nods they ‘stole from other characters on the show’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.