- The impact of this eruption is not going to just be felt today. The volcanic ash could linger in the atmosphere for 6 months causing disruptions to travel in Europe throughout the time period.
- This eruption isn’t likely to end today. Previous eruptions of the Eyjafjallajoekull volcano lasted for 12 months.
- An Icelandic volcano eruption has been cited as a cause of the French Revolution as it covered much of Europe, killing many people in Iceland, and halting trade and hindering agriculture throughout Northern Europe.
- Iceland’s tourism industry is set to be crushed by the volcano crisis, and with an economy already reeling from a banking crisis, it will be hard for the economy to handle a hit to an industry that accounts for 13.3% of the country’s export revenue.
- These ash clouds can help to reduce global warming by cooling the planet through reflecting sun light. An 1815 eruption in Indonesia previously had such an effect, but also caused a “year without a summer” where European harvests suffered and economic collapse resulted.
Here is AP video of the eruption:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.