- Virgin Holidays is looking for a bartender to man the famous Floyd’s Pelican Bar in the Caribbean.
- Floating on stilts a mile off the coast of Jamaica, the bar is surrounded by turquoise waters and is regularly named amongst the best in the world.
- The owner, Floyd Forbes, hasn’t had a break for 18 years, which is why he’s looking for someone to be in charge for a week.
- The successful applicant will have flights and accommodation for seven nights provided, but you have to be willing to commute to the bar by boat – or paddleboard.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Looking for a summer job in a bar? Or perhaps you’re already a bartender but are fed up with pouring drinks for dead beat city-workers from a dingy drinking establishment?
If you’re interested in something slightly more exotic, listen up: Virgin Holidays is offering a free trip to Jamaica – you just have to be willing to man a bar for a week.
This isn’t just any bar though, this is Floyd’s Pelican Bar, a famous floating bar found one mile off the coast of Jamaica, in the middle of the Caribbean Sea.
The reason the bar needs looking after is that the owner, Floyd Forbes, hasn’t had a break for nearly 18 years, and he’d quite like a week off.
Floating on stilts surrounded by glistening waters, Floyd’s Pelican Bar has become iconic over the years, beloved amongst locals and tourists alike.
It’s only reachable by boat, but there are plenty of locals willing to ferry visitors there and back from the mainland.
Floyd’s was built in 2001 and is regularly heralded as one of the best bars in the world.
If you fancy spending a week serving rum punches and piña coladas surrounded by ocean, the job description states you’ll need to:
- Be willing to commute by boat or paddle board, even when the weather is a little too beautiful to go to work.
- Be eager to chat to locals and tourists alike and get to know them over a cool bottle of local beer.
- Manage the music playlist to ensure chilled beats are playing at all times.
- Throw the occasional fish to the resident pelicans, who gave the bar its name.
- Welcome passing boats looking for a refreshment with a smile.
- Be able to multitask – it can be tricky to hand out beer and appreciate the glistening turquoise water at the same time.
Your flights and accommodation for seven nights will all be covered by Virgin Holidays – click here to apply.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.