- Southampton forward Shane Long scored the fastest goal in Premier League history on Tuesday.
- Long took advantage of a misplayed ball from Watford, leaping in front of an errant pass to deflect the ball towards the goal with no one back to stop him.
- Long deposited a simple shot past the keeper just 7.69 seconds into the match, giving Southampton the earlier 1-0 lead in EPL history.
- The goal breaks a record set by Tottenham forward Ledley King in 2000 when King scored just 10 seconds into the match.
- To put the goal in perspective, Usain Bolt needed 9.81 seconds to win gold in the 100 meters at the 2016 Olympics in Rio.
- You can watch Long’s goal below.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
GOAL! It’s a new #PremierLeague record!
Shane Long has just scored the fastest-ever #PL goal, eight seconds into this one!
Click through to watch LIVE on the app ➡️ https://t.co/OMfr3iEIRL
— Optus Sport (@OptusSport) April 23, 2019
- Read more from Tyler Lauletta:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.