- Canada’s Global News TV channel on Thursday published a video of Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wearing blackface.
- The outlet said that the video was recorded in the early 1990s but that it was unclear where. It said Trudeau’s Liberal Party confirmed that the person in the video is Trudeau.
- It is the third such image to come to light in 24 hours. On Wednesday, Time magazine published a photo of Trudeau in brownface at a party in 2001, when he was 29.
- While apologizing for that photo, Trudeau said he had worn brownface before, in high school, to perform a Jamaican song.
- “I shouldn’t have done that,” Trudeau said. “I should have known better, but I didn’t, and I’m really sorry.”
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Newly published video footage shows Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wearing blackface, the third such image to come to light in 24 hours.
The Canadian TV channel Global News published the video on Thursday morning. It shows Trudeau wearing dark makeup on his face and body, raising his hands in the air, and sticking out his tongue.
Global News said that the video was recorded in the early 1990s but that it was unclear where. It said it confirmed with Trudeau’s Liberal Party that he is the one in it.
Late Wednesday, Time magazine published a photo of Trudeau wearing brownface and dressed in a costume for a 2001 “Arabian Nights”-themed party hosted by the school where he worked. He was 29 at the time.
Exclusive: Justin Trudeau wore brownface at an “Arabian Nights” party in 2001. I got the photo.https://t.co/TiIQIrKY3z
— Anna Kambhampaty (@anna_P_k) September 18, 2019
Early Thursday, Business Insider published other photos from the event, including one of Trudeau in brownface, that were featured in the school’s April 2001 newsletter.
The photos showed about 40 other guests, none of whom had brownface.
In comments to reporters on Wednesday night, Trudeau said: “I shouldn’t have done that. I should have known better, but I didn’t, and I’m really sorry.”
He added: “I’m going to be asking Canadians to forgive me for what I did. I shouldn’t have done that. I take responsibility for it. It was a dumb thing to do.”
When a reporter asked Trudeau if he had ever donned a similarly racist costume, he said that in high school he “dressed up at a talent show and sang ‘Day-O’ with makeup on.”
It is not clear whether the video of Trudeau in blackface uncovered by Global News is the same one of him singing “Day-O.”
The revelations that Trudeau donned racist makeup and costumes comes weeks before he and his Liberal Party are up for reelection, on October 21.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.