A Bunnings Warehouse caught fire in Perth and sent fireballs flying through the sky

Twitter/Nadio Mitsopoulos

A massive fire ripped through a Bunnings Warehouse in Inglewood, a 15-minute drive from the Perth CBD at 9pm (local time) last night.

Staff were forced to flee the building as the fire spread, catching on chemical materials and causing gas bottles to explode.

As many as 100 firefighters were called to the scene. No one was injured.

Toxic fumes from the fire forced residents to evacuate from the nearby area.

DFES spokesman Clint Kuchel told the ABC that the blaze produced “some significant fireballs”. Another witness said that the largest flames stretched eight metres high.

Social media blew up with incredible footage of the fire as it raged last night.

It was so large, it could even be seen blocks away.

Power was turned off to a number of homes in the area.

Today, firefighters are monitoring the site, which now looks like this:

While the smoke from the site isn’t considered toxic emergency services have warned residents to keep air conditioners turned off and windows closed as the smoke from the site may cause respiratory problems.

“People in an area bounded by Sixth Avenue, Clifton Crescent, Tenth Avenue and Beaufort Street in Inglewood may still be impacted by smoke or fumes,” Emergency WA said.”

Road closures are still in place in the area. Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel.

An evacuation centre has been established at the Inglewood Civic Centre on Beaufort Street.

The cause of the fire is yet to be determined.

The ABC has more.

NOW WATCH: Briefing videos

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.