- Luke Islam, a 12-year-old aspiring Broadway singer, brought the judges to tears during his performance on America’s Got Talent.
- After letting judge Julianne Hough know that she was his favourite, Islam stunned with an incredible performance of “She Used to Be Mine” from the Broadway musical “Waitress.”
- Before the performance was even over, he received a standing ovation.
- All of the judges were impressed by Islam, but Julianne Hough was teary-eyed as she pressed her Golden Buzzer.
- The Golden Buzzer is a once-per-season move that allows each judge to send their favourite act straight to the live shows, bypassing all other qualifying rounds.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
On Tuesday’s episode of “America’s Got Talent,” judge Julianne Hough was brought to tears by 12-year-old singer Luke Islam and used her Golden Buzzer to send him directly to the live shows.
A self-proclaimed Broadway fanatic, Luke Islam explained that he has seen a ton of Broadway musicals and enters the Broadway lotteries every weekend in hopes of getting a chance to see some of his favourite shows.
His parents explained that he has been singing since he was a toddler and began watching Broadway shows at the age of 6.
Before his performance he told the judges how much he looked up to judge Julianne Hough and when asked by judge Gabrielle Union what his dream was, he said, “My dream is to become a star and make it to Broadway.”
Islam went on to stun the crowd with his performance of “She Used to Be Mine” from the Broadway musical “Waitress.”
Before his performance was even over, judges and audience members were on their feet and by the end of his song, the entire crowd was giving him a standing ovation. Islam was in tears as the judges hailed him and his performance.
Gabrielle Union said he “killed it” and Howie Mandel said, “I think that we are watching the beginning of your dream coming true.”
But it was Julianne Hough who was particularly moved. Through tears, she said, “I just have to say I’m extremely flattered that you would even look up to my brother and I with a voice like that, with an energy like that, because you have such talent and grace. You have something so special. You have an essence inside of you that has given you a gift.”
“I believe that not only are you going to become a star and get your dream to come true, but I don’t think you need to wait that much longer,” she said as she pressed her Golden Buzzer.
Beneath falling golden confetti, Luke Islam fell to the ground with joy before being greeted on stage with hugs from his parents and Julianne Hough herself.
Before heading off stage Islam said, “I can’t believe it. I’m in shock. I never expected something like this to happen in my whole life. I’m so grateful. Thank you so much.”
You can see his performance in the video below:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.