- Some conservatives circulated a video of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez dancing in college, apparently meaning to mock her.
- It backfired.
- Most of the people sharing the video don’t see any issue with her dancing.
- Ocasio-Cortez is often the target of bizarre memes and rants from members of the right-wing media.
Some conservative critics of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are being mocked after they attempted to ridicule the congresswoman for dancing in college.
Two popular conservative conspiracy theorists on Twitter,Dan Jordan and AnonymousQ1776, circulated an old video of Ocasio-Cortez dancing. The clip is part of a video produced by students at Boston University in 2010 featuring students dancing to the song “Lisztomania” by Phoenix and emulating the dance scene from the 1985 comedy “The Breakfast Club.” Ocasio-Cortez graduated from Boston University in 2011.
The segments with Ocasio-Cortez dancing have been circulating through conservative websites since at least December 31, 2018, when a now deleted YouTube video was posted to LiveLeak. It’s now made its way to Twitter.
Though the video was meant to diminish Ocasio-Cortez, the vast majority of responses have mocked the conservative poster.
— Karen Tumulty (@ktumulty) January 3, 2019
who is stupid enough to think this is damaging? https://t.co/jt8nLI0sjB
— (((Dark&Dankeas))) (@kampeas) January 3, 2019
well she's certainly lost the crucial "Mayor from that Footloose town" vote https://t.co/ttCY5wb9Je
— maura quint (@behindyourback) January 3, 2019
Imagine being so out of touch with America that you think a video of someone having fun as a teenager would make Americans like that person *less*. https://t.co/WoyYhUsLjB
— Noah Smith ???? (@Noahpinion) January 3, 2019
Imagine thinking this is bad in any way https://t.co/GwCtAjjbNt
— alex (@alex_cono) January 3, 2019
She was in college (peep the shirt, dumb-dumb),
And, this video is objectively awesome. https://t.co/xIfqJGm3Vv
— Calabi Tao (@joecivilian) January 3, 2019
Ocasio-Cortez has been a target of right-wing ire since she won her congressional primary in June 2018, setting her on a path for her seat in the House of Representatives. As a self-described democratic socialist, she’s often the subject of bizarre memes and rants from members of conservative media.
Pretty much! pic.twitter.com/73nxk22W55
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) July 2, 2018
- Read more:
- Most Americans would rather spend the $US5 billion Trump is demanding for the border wall on infrastructure, education, or healthcare
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez slammed the media for talking up a 2020 White House run instead of her policy ideas
- Most Americans agree with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez that congressional interns should be paid $US15 an hour
Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.