- Alex Ovechkin delivered a scary knockout to the 19-year-old rookie Andrei Svechnikov in the first period of Monday night’s game between the Washington Capitals and the Carolina Hurricanes.
- It was Ovechkin’s first fight since 2010 and just the fourth of his career. He outweighs Svechnikov by about 40 pounds.
- After the game, Ovechkin said he hoped Svechnikov was OK and that it had been the rookie who asked for the fight.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
Alex Ovechkin knocked out the 19-year-old rookie Andrei Svechnikov in the first period of Monday night’s game between the Washington Capitals and the Carolina Hurricanes.
After the two had been sparring through the first two games of the series, things finally boiled over on Monday night, with Ovechkin, who outweighs Svechnikov by roughly 40 pounds, leaving as the decisive victor.
Just seconds after the pair dropped their gloves, the Capitals captain dropped Svechnikov. According to The Washington Post’s Isabelle Khurshudyan, it was Ovechkin’s first fight since 2010 and just the fourth of his career.
Judging by how it ended, the rest of the league is lucky Ovechkin has held back for so long.
You can watch the fight unfold below.
You don’t want to throw hand with Alex Ovechkin pic.twitter.com/jP5rnLRZrm
— Processing (@Processing_Pod) April 16, 2019
Svechnikov had to be helped off of the ice and did not return to the game.
While it looks a bit rough on the surface for a seasoned veteran such as Ovechkin to take out a rookie, Ovechkin said after the game that Svechnikov had called for the challenge.
“First of all, I hope he’s OK,” Ovechkin said after the game. “I’m not a big fighter, and he’s same way. He asked me to fight, and I said, let’s go.”
While Ovechkin won the fight, the Capitals went on to lose the game by a score of 5-0, though Washington still holds a 2-1 lead in the best-of-seven series. Game 4 will take place on Thursday in North Carolina.
- Read more from Tyler Lauletta:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.