US Army base says it's sorry for claiming its Twitter account was hacked after an 'administrator' sent sexual messages at an OnlyFans creator

Associated PressA sign at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, January 4, 2020.
  • Fort Bragg, the home of the US Army’s Airborne and Special Operations Command, claimed its official Twitter account was hacked after it began sending explicit tweets.
  • The account began replying to an adult-content creator from the platform OnlyFans on Wednesday afternoon.
  • The OnlyFans performer described the incident as “wild” and told Insider she was disappointed the tweets were removed.
  • The XVIII Airborne Corps reversed its initial statement and said on Thursday that an “administrator” had been the source of the tweets.
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

Fort Bragg, home of the US Army’s XVIII Airborne Corps and Special Operations Command, apologised on Thursday after it previously claimed its official Twitter account was hacked when explicit tweets were sent from the account.

“As many of you may know, there were a string of explicit Tweets from our account this afternoon,” a representative from the installation said in a statement through Twitter on Wednesday. “This was not the work of our admins. Our account was hacked. We apologise to our followers.”

“We have secured our account and looking into the matter,” it added.

On Thursday morning, the XVIII Airborne Corps said that “an administrator had identified himself as the source of the tweets” and that “appropriate action is underway.”

The Airborne Corps added in a reply to another tweet: “We really do apologise, ma’am. We were operating off the information we had given the information from an initial inquiry. We humbly apologise.”

The official account began replying to an adult-content creator from the platform OnlyFans on Wednesday afternoon.

The base’s account initially responded to a tweet from the creator about an OnlyFans subscriber unhappy with their content, saying, “He’s lost and doesn’t know a good thing when it’s staring him in the eyes, or tickling his nose in this case.”

In response to another suggestive tweet from the creator, the base’s account said it wanted to give them “a deep long kiss” — in addition to other sexual acts.

Ft. Bragg’s Twitter account was deactivated around 5:30 p.m. EST.

The OnlyFans performer, who goes by “Quinn Finite,” sarcastically replied to Ft. Bragg’s tweets.

“Someone come get their fort,” she tweeted, adding in another tweet, “Normalize horny tweeting from US Army forts.”

Quinn Finite also described the incident as “wild” and told Insider she was disappointed the tweets were removed instead of being “celebrated the way they deserve.”

“This may have been a bold move for Fort Bragg, but I hope the original poster still follows me on their personal account,” she told Insider. “They seem lovely.”

She added that she amassed a number of new Twitter followers and “if the tweet impacted my OnlyFans subscriptions like it did my Twitter, I’m scared to check.”

Twitter accounts belonging to US military units have had other unflattering moments. As news of the coronavirus’s impact spread across the world in March, the US Army posted an image on its Instagram account asking “Why did the man eat a bat?” It also answered, “It wasn’t because he was thirsty.”

The controversial Instagram post came as initial reports indicated the coronavirus may have spread to humans from bats in China, or through an intermediary species. Democratic Sen. Tammy Duckworth replied to the post on Twitter: “This is simply unacceptable. We do not know how #COVID19 first infected humans but racism has no place in our Armed Forces.”

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.