- President Donald Trump announced Sunday that the US military has killed notorious al-Qaeda operative Jamel Ahmed Mohammed Ali Al-Badawi, confirming earlier reports.
- Al-Badawi, who has been on the FBI’s list of most wanted terrorists, is said to have orchestrated the bombing off the USS Cole in 2000 that killed 17 American sailors.
- “Our GREAT MILITARY has delivered justice for the heroes lost and wounded in the cowardly attack on the USS Cole,” the president tweeted Sunday.
The US military has killed the terrorist mastermind believed to have orchestrated the deadly USS Cole bombing eighteen years ago, the president revealed Sunday, confirming earlier reports.
Jamel Ahmed Mohammed Ali Al-Badawi, an al-Qaeda operative on the FBI’s most wanted list, was killed during a strike in Yemen’s Ma’rib Governorate, a US official told CNN. He was struck while driving alone. The US says there was no collateral damage.
That Al-Badawi was the target of Tuesday’s airstrike was confirmed by Voice of America, citing a defence official. As of Friday afternoon, US forces were reportedly still assessing the results of the strike.
President Donald Trump confirmed Sunday that the US military successfully eliminated Al-Badawi.
Our GREAT MILITARY has delivered justice for the heroes lost and wounded in the cowardly attack on the USS Cole. We have just killed the leader of that attack, Jamal al-Badawi. Our work against al Qaeda continues. We will never stop in our fight against Radical Islamic Terrorism!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 6, 2019
The bombing of the USS Cole, an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer, occurred while the warship was refuelling at Yemen’s Aden harbour. On October 12, 2000, suicide bombers in a small boat filled with explosives attacked the ship, killing 17 US sailors and wounding another 39 people.
Al-Badawi had been picked up by Yemeni authorities multiple times since the bombing; however, he repeatedly managed to escape justice.
After being arrested in December 2000, he escaped in 2003. He was apprehended a second time in 2004, but he managed to escape again two years later.
He was indicted by a federal grand jury in 2003 and charged with 50 counts of terrorism-related offenses. The FBI has been offering a reward of up to $US5 million for information that would lead to his arrest.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.