- 46 students at Union County High School in Union County, Georgia, were caught sharing nude photos of classmates on their phones, officials said.
- Union County Schools Superintendent John Hill said the students were aged between 14 and 18.
- He said many students likely didn’t know they were committing crimes when they shared the photos – in Georgia they could face charges of manufacturing and distributing child pornography.
- School officials have not said if they will press charges, but some students have been suspended, while others have transferred schools.
Nearly 50 students at one Georgia high school were caught sending naked photos of their classmates to one another in a sexting scandal, officials have said.
Officials at Union County High School in Union County, Georgia, said that 46 students between 14 and 18 years old were caught sharing illicit photos of classmates on their phones, according to FOX 5 Atlanta.
The students could be prosecuted with federal pornography charges, though Union County Schools Superintendent John Hill said it’s likely many students at the school of 850 didn’t realise they were committing crimes.
“In Georgia, if you’re under the age of 18, that’s actually manufacturing and distribution of child pornography,” Hill told WSB-TV. “This has been very disturbing to our high school and to our school system, and I think it’s impacted our community.”
It is illegal to distribute explicit photos of minors -even if one is a minor – in Georgia. Administrators said they are not sure if they will pursue charges.
Hill said the sexting scandal emerged a few weeks ago when a parent became aware of it and notified school officials.
The Union County Schools Police Department is investigating the situation.
All of the students accused of being involved have been suspended or transferred to an alternative school.
- Read more:
- Here’s the full list of people charged in the college-admissions cheating scandal
- A 17-year-old girl saved a man from a locked trunk after hearing him shout for help while she was walking her dog
- A woman who faked being pregnant and devastated the parents who believed they were adopting her baby has been arrested
- An Olive Garden waitress wrote a Facebook post about serving a baby covered in ‘black and blue’ bruises. The baby’s parents were later arrested.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.