UKIP’s Douglas Carswell announced on Saturday he is quitting the party to become an independent MP for Clacton.
In a statement on his website, Carswell said he was leaving UKIP “amicably”.
Carswell was UKIP’s only member of Parliament.
More to follow.
More from Business Insider UK:
- Saudi Arabia confirms Westminster attacker Khalid Masood visited the country 3 times
- A Navy SEAL explains what to do if you’re attacked by a shark
- A lawyer explains what you should do if your private photos are posted online
- The EU is worried about ‘streetfighter’ David Davis and prepared to take Britain to court if it doesn’t play nice
- A visit to a Seoul escort-karaoke bar by a party of Uber execs in 2014 led to a HR complaint from a female employee
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.