- President Trump says he will attend Game 5 of the World Series between the Washington Nationals and Houston Astros this Sunday should the series stretch that long.
- Trump will not be throwing out the ceremonial first pitch of the game, telling reporters that he would “look too heavy” due to the “heavy armour” he would have to wear out on to the field.
- The honour of throwing out the first pitch will instead go to renowned chef, activist, and vocal Trump critic José Andrés.
- Andrés has feuded with Trump since the beginning of his presidential campaign, and in the meantime focused on bringing millions of meals to people whose lives have been upended by natural disasters.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
World Series baseball will be played in Washington D.C. for the first time since 1933, and while President Trump plans on attending one of the games, he will not be throwing out the ceremonial first pitch.
On Thursday, Trump told reporters that he planned on attending a potential Game 5 at Nationals Park should Washington fail to sweep the series in four games.
“I don’t know. They gotta dress me up in a lot of heavy armour. I’ll look too heavy. I don’t like that,” Trump said when asked if he would throw out the first pitch to open the game. Should he finish his time in office without throwing a first pitch, Trump would be the first president to do so since William Howard Taft began the tradition in 1910.
The honour of throwing out the first pitch on Sunday, should the game be played, will instead go to renowned chef, activist, and vocal Trump critic José Andrés.
While Andrés expressed that he was honoured to accept the Nationals invitation, he added that he hoped his presence wouldn’t be necessary, as Washington could potentially sweep the Astros before a Game 5 is ever played.
I’m humbled by the invitation, and I realize is a big big big honor but I really hope that by Saturday night all of WASHINGTON will be celebrating that the @Nationals are the 2019 @MLB World Series Champions…????????????????????⚾️???? https://t.co/V6EvP9L7Lr
— José Andrés (@chefjoseandres) October 25, 2019
Andrés had criticised Trump since the beginning of his presidential campaign. In 2015, the star chef was set to open a restaurant in the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C., but pulled out of the agreement after Trump’s racist remarks against Mexicans at the start of his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination.
Trump sued, and Andrés countersued, and after two years, the two sides settled.
Since then, Andrés has continued to speak out against the president while doing plenty of good work. Andrés and his nonprofit World Central Kitchen have served millions of meals to people whose lives have been devastated by natural disasters, including Hurricane Maria in 2017 and Hurricane Dorian this year.
Andrés also committed to feeding federal workers during the government shutdown at the start of 2019, giving out more than 38,000 meals to unpaid employees who had missed paychecks due to the stoppage.
Andrés and Trump won’t even have the chance to attend the game unless the Nationals lose on Friday or Saturday. But should a Game 5 be necessary, it will be worth it to make time for the first pitch.
- Read more:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.