- Jeff and MacKenzie Bezos announced this week that they would be getting divorced after 25 years of marriage.
- President Donald Trump, who has been a vocal critic of Amazon and its CEO, was asked a question about Bezos’ split on Thursday when he stopped to answer reporter questions outside the White House.
- Trump wished the Amazon CEO luck and said the divorce was “going to be a beauty.”
President Donald Trump predicted Jeff Bezos’ divorce would be “a beauty” when he was asked about the Amazon CEO outside the White House on Thursday.
Trump stopped to answer questions from reporters Thursday morning before boarding Air Force One. Amid a partial government shutdown, the president is planning to visit cities along the US-Mexico border to attempt to garner support for his proposed border wall.
“I wish him luck,” Trump told reporters Thursday morning when asked about the divorce. “It’s going to be a beauty.”
Trump on Jeff Bezos' divorce: "I wish him luck, I wish him luck. It's going to be a beauty." pic.twitter.com/M81dR1kbgl
— Bob Bryan (@RobertBryan4) January 10, 2019
Jeff Bezos posted Wednesday on his Twitter account that he and his wife would be splitting amicably after what a statement signed by the couple called “a long period of loving exploration and trial separation.” Tabloids have since reported that the Amazon CEO has been quietly dating the former TV news anchor Lauren Sanchez.
The Bezoses met even before Amazon launched, and with reportedly no prenuptial agreement in place, MacKenzie Bezos is poised to become one of Amazon’s largest shareholders after Jeff Bezos’ $US137 billion fortune and 16% stake in the e-commerce giant is likely divided up in the divorce settlement.
Historically, Trump and Amazon have had a frosty relationship. The news website Axios reported last year that Trump was “obsessed” with taking down Bezos’ company, which he has criticised as destroying small businesses and taking advantage of the US Postal Service. On the campaign trail in February 2016, Trump said at a rally that if he were elected president, Amazon would “have such problems.”
Trump has also taken aim at Bezos’ ownership of The Washington Post. He accused The Post of being a “lobbyist weapon” for Amazon and tried to brand the paper with the hashtag #AmazonWashingtonPost.
- Read more on the Bezoses’ divorce:
- Even if Jeff and MacKenzie Bezos don’t split his $US137 billion fortune evenly, she still has a chance at becoming the world’s richest woman
- Jeff and MacKenzie Bezos are getting divorced, and they announced it smack in the middle of ‘divorce month’
- MacKenzie Bezos has been part of Amazon lore since before the company began, driving across the US with her husband Jeff as he wrote out his business plan in 1994
- Billionaires Jeff and MacKenzie Bezos may be divorcing, but research suggests the richer people are, the more likely they are to get – and stay – married
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.