- ABC News has apologised for airing an erroneous graphic that referenced criminal charges against Paul Manafort on Wednesday.
- The graphic incorrectly said that Manafort had pleaded guilty to charges of manslaughter. Manafort has not been charged with manslaughter.
- President Donald Trump criticised the error.
- Manafort is currently in jail pending trial on nearly two dozen charges of money laundering, tax fraud, bank fraud, making false statements, and failing to register as a foreign agent. He has pleaded not guilty to those charges.
ABC News has apologised after an erroneous graphic referencing criminal charges against Paul Manafort aired on TV Wednesday.
The graphic incorrectly said that Manafort, President Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman, pleaded guilty to charges of manslaughter. The graphic was on air for a few seconds before it was removed. Manafort has not been charged with manslaughter.
Trump criticised the error on Twitter, and sought to characterise it as intentional.
In a statement posted on Twitter, ABC News said: “We regret and apologise for the false lower third graphic that aired during our special report. We are investigating how incorrect information was in our system and how and why it was allowed to air.”
“We apologise to our viewers and to Mr. Manafort. There simply is no excuse for this sort of mistake,” the statement read.
Manafort is a person of interest in the special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation of Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election. Manafort has been indicted on nearly two dozen charges, including bank fraud, tax fraud, money laundering, failing to register as a foreign agent, and lying to investigators.
A federal judge revoked Manafort’s $US10 million bond last week and sent him to jail on Friday following new allegations of witness-tampering. He is expected to remain in jail until his trial.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.