President Donald Trump responded to the “rogue” Twitter employee who took down his account for 11 minutes at approximately 7 p.m. on Thursday evening.
“My Twitter account was taken down for 11 minutes by a rogue employee. I guess the word must finally be getting out-and having an impact,” Trump tweeted.
Twitter initially said Trump’s account had been taken down “inadvertently,” but then followed up hours later saying it was done by a “customer support employee who did this on the employee’s last day of work,” suggesting a stunt pulled by an employee.
Trump has wielded his Twitter account with over 41 million followers in a way no president, and perhaps no person ever has before.
Trump has made incredibly personal attacks on his enemies’ appearance using the website, and has engaged in nuclear brinkmanship with North Korea on the platform.
Lately, Trump used Twitter to call for New York City terror attack suspect Sayfullo Saipov to be executed.
While Twitter does have rules against inciting violence on the platform, they have been applied unevenly. Currently Roger Stone, a longtime Republican strategist and an informal adviser to President Donald Trump, plans to sue Twitter over suspending his account after he attacked CNN personalities.
“It’s funny people on twitter threaten to kill me, my wife , my children and even my dogs but they are not banned,” Stone said of his suspension.
After the wave of accusations of sexual misconduct against Harvey Weinstein surfaced, Twitter made the deeply unpopular decision to suspend the Twitter account of Rose McGowan after she accused Ben Affleck of lying about his knowledge of Weinstein’s acts.
Business Insider’s Alexei Oreskovic called the outgoing Twitter employee’s move a “glaring security issue,” pointing out that the employee could have tweeted a declaration of war against North Korea from an account that the White House maintains is an official channel of the president.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.