- At a rally in Milwaukee on Tuesday, US President Donald Trump ranted – again – about what he said was the effect of efficiency standards for dishwashers, lightbulbs, toilets, and showers.
- Trump criticised “new” dishwashers, saying they mean you sometimes need to wash your dishes “10 times.” He then asked the crowd: “Anybody have a new dishwasher? I’m sorry for that.”
- He also lamented what he said were weaker showers, adding: “I have this beautiful head of hair. I need a lot of water.”
- The president also said energy-efficient lightbulbs “make you look orange.”
- Many of his complaints echoed previous grievances, and he has taken steps to roll back standards on energy-saving lightbulbs.
- View Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
US President Donald Trump used part of a rally in Milwaukee on Tuesday to go on a bizarre rant about “worthless” new dishwashers, weaker showers, and lightbulbs that “make you look orange.”
As his Democratic presidential rivals debated on the CNN stage, Trump appeared to criticise Energy Department regulations for the energy efficiency of appliances.
He said to cheers from the crowd: “I’m also approving new dishwashers that give you more water so you can actually wash and rinse your dishes without having to do it 10 times – four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, 10.
“Anybody have a new dishwasher? I’m sorry for that. I’m sorry for that. It’s worthless. They give you so little water. You ever see it? Air comes out. So little water.”
He claimed that people were forced to take plates out and wash them “the old-fashioned way.”
"You don't get any water!" — POTUS transitions from complaining about dishwashers to complaining about sinks, toilets, and showers. He then starts bragging about his hair. pic.twitter.com/o4nHUBkGSc
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) January 15, 2020
Other water-using appliances were also on Trump’s list of grievances. “Sinks, toilets, and showers – you don’t get any water,” he said.
“You go into a shower – and I have this beautiful head of hair. I need a lot of water,” he said, to cheers from the crowd.
“And you go into the shower, right? You turn on the water. Drip. Drip. Drip. I call the guy: ‘Is something wrong with this?’ ‘No, sir, it’s just the restrictor.'”
He added: “We’re getting rid of the restrictors. You’re going to have full shower flow.”
Trump also expressed frustration with “the new lightbulb,” saying it “costs you five times as much, and it makes you look orange.”
Trump has previously attacked lightbulbs designed to be more efficient. He rolled back Obama-era standards on energy-saving lightbulbs in December, stopping a phasing out of older incandescent bulbs.
He has also blamed the efficient bulbs for making him look orange, saying in September: ‘The bulb that we’re being forced to use – No. 1, to me, most importantly, the light’s no good. I always look orange. And so do you. The light is the worst.”
His comments on dishwashers were also a repetition of grievances. In December, Trump said newer dishwasher models had poorer performance.
“Remember the dishwasher? You’d press it, boom! There’d be, like, an explosion,” he said. “Five minutes later, you open it up, the steam pours out.”
He said that “women” told him it was no longer the same.
“Now you press it 12 times. Women tell me, again, you know, they give you four drops of water,” he said.