- President Donald Trump’s 2020 campaign manager, Brad Parscale, used a photo of Air Force One soaring over crowds at the Daytona 500 to mark Trump’s visit on Sunday.
- The image, however, was actually from when President George W Bush was there in 2004.
- It stayed up for three hours, accruing 23,000 likes and 6,700 retweets, before Parscale deleted it.
- Trump was grand marshal at the 2020 edition of the Daytona 500 NASCAR race, and he did a lap of the circuit in his armoured car, “The Beast.”
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
President Donald Trump’s campaign manager deleted a photo from George Bush’s 2004 visit to the Daytona 500 after first using it to celebrate Trump’s visit to the event on Sunday.
“@realDonaldTrump won the #Daytona500 before the race even started,” Brad Parscale tweeted Sunday, along with an impressive photo of Air Force One rising behind the Daytona International Speedway in Florida.
But, instead of showing Trump leaving Daytona Beach International Airport on Sunday, it actually showed the time President George W. Bush left, following a February 15 visit more than a decade ago.
It didn’t go unnoticed, with reporters like Voice of America’s Steve Herman pointing out the error.
— Steve Herman (@W7VOA) February 16, 2020
Parscale deleted the tweet after about three hours. In the meantime it garnered 6,700 retweets and about 23,000 likes. He replaced it with one containing an accurate photo shortly after.
— Brad Parscale (@parscale) February 16, 2020
The 2004 photo was taken by Jonathan Ferry for Getty Images. “Apparently I won the Daytona 500 photography before the race even started,” Ferry, who was not photographing at Sunday’s event, told CNN.
Trump was grand marshal at the NASCAR race.
“My fellow race fans, there’s no greater thrill than to join you at the world centre of races for the 62nd Daytona 500,” Trump told the stadium in a prerace announcement.
“NASCAR fans never forget that no matter who wins the race, what matters most is God, family, and country,” he said.
Trump, appearing with first lady Melania Trump, also did a lap of the 2-1/2-mile circuit in the presidential limo, known as “The Beast,” before the race.
— Steve Guest (@SteveGuest) February 16, 2020
- Read more:
- The authors of ‘A Very Stable Genius’ discuss Trump’s rage, ignorance, and the unprecedented dysfunction of his White House
- Trump keeps tweeting about the Justice Department after Attorney General Bill Barr says it’s ‘time to stop the tweeting’
- Trump just put a 29-year-old fired over allegations of financial crimes in charge of all personnel decisions
- Former Trump aide Hope Hicks is returning to the White House