- President Trump mocked Beto O’Rourke’s appearance on television, questioning if the former Texas congressman is crazy.
- O’Rourke announced this morning that he would run for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2020.
- The president was referring to the hand gesticulations O’Rourke made while speaking in Iowa shortly after the former Texas congressman announced his run for the 2020 Democratic nomination.
President Donald Trump mocked the 2020 presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke on Thursday, shortly after the Democrat’s televised appearance at a coffee shop in Iowa.
Trump ridiculed O’Rourke’s hand movements and questioned whether the former Texas congressman is crazy, continuing his style of mocking political opponents, which often includes going after their physical appearances.
“I think he’s got a lot of hand movement. Is he crazy or is that just the way he acts?” Trump told reporters about O’Rourke. “I’ve never seen hand movement. I watched him a little while this morning doing, I assume some kind of a news conference, and I’ve actually never seen anything quite like it. Study it; I’m sure you’ll agree.”
Trump made the remarks while participating in a meeting with Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar.
Trump says Beto had a lot of hand movement, wonders if he is crazy pic.twitter.com/i3Q2SloJD8
— Jeff Mason (@jeffmason1) March 14, 2019
O’Rourke, who announced his campaign on Thursday, is embarking on a trip across Iowa, one of the earliest voting states.
- Read more:
- Why Beto O’Rourke could lose in his quest to win the 2020 Democratic nomination
- Beto O’Rourke says Bernie Sanders gave the single best piece of advice he heard in 2016, and it could shape the Texan’s 2020 campaign
- Here’s everyone who has officially announced they are running for president in 2020
- Trump is already brainstorming nicknames for the large 2020 field of Democrats
- The most disparaging nicknames Trump used for his political enemies and former allies in 2018
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.