- President Donald Trump would intercede in the case of executive Sabrina Meng Wanzhou, if such an extraordinary step could secure a favourable trade deal with China, Reuters reports.
- Huawei’s CFO Meng, the daughter of founder and chairman Ren Zhengfei was detained in Vancouver airport changing flights in on December 1, triggering an international incident that has unnerved markets and USA-China trade experts alike.
President Donald Trump would intercede in the case of Huawei executive Sabrina Meng Wanzhou, if such a step could secure a favourable trade deal with China, Reuters reports.
Trump said in an interview with Reuters, “Whatever’s good for this country, I would do.”
When asked if he would intervene with the Department of Justice in her case, the president indicated that he would if it led to a favourable outcome for national security interests and the signing of a trade deal with China.
“If I think it’s good for what will be certainly the largest trade deal ever made – which is a very important thing – what’s good for national security – I would certainly intervene if I thought it was necessary,” Trump said.
The US is still seeking the extradition of Meng, released today on bail, who has been accused by US prosecutors of fraud regarding deals in Iran in violation of US sanctions. She was arrested in Canada on December 1.
Reuters reports that the president acknowledged that the White House has been in contact with the Department of Justice regarding Meng.
Trump also said the White House has also spoken with Chinese officials on the matter, but did not elaborate who they are or who they were talking to within his administration.
“They have not called me yet. They are talking to my people. But they have not called me yet,” he said when asked by Reuters if he has spoken to President Xi Jinping his Chinese counterpart regarding the case.
- Read more on the arrest of Huawei’s Meng Wanzhou:
- Huawei’s Meng gets bail, while Canada waits for news of former diplomat reportedly held in China
- What you need to know about Meng Wanzhou, a Chinese tech founder’s daughter whose arrest could set fire to US-China relations
- China is furious and global markets are in an uproar as the daughter of one of the country’s richest men languishes in a Canadian jail
- Arrested Huawei CFO offers to pay for her own 24-hour surveillance and wear a tracking device if she’s granted bail
- An arrest, a debutante ball, and 3 marriages: Inside the insane lives of the super rich Huawei dynasty
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.