- President Donald Trump discussed border security in a televised address to the nation from the Oval Office on Tuesday night.
- The betting website BookMaker.eu had people wager on how many times Trump would lie during the speech, using The Washington Post’s Fact Checker blog as the judge.
- By the end of the speech, The Post’s fact checkers had corrected six of Trump’s statements.
- Because the gambling site had so many people betting that Trump would tell more than 3.5 lies, it will have to pay out $US276,424, an odds consultant told BuzzFeed News.
People who bet that President Donald Trump would tell more than 3.5 lies during his Oval Office address on Tuesday night will win a total of $US276,424, BuzzFeed News reported.
The betting website BookMaker.eu offered users the chance to gamble on how many lies Trump would tell during his speech, using The Washington Post’s fact-checking live blog as the judge of the president’s truthfulness.
Fact checkers for The Post’s live blog corrected six of Trump’s statements about immigration and the US-Mexico border during his speech.
BookMaker.eu offered odds of -145 for more than 3.5 lies and +115 for fewer than 3.5 lies, meaning that if a person bet $US145 on Trump telling four or more lies, they would win an additional $US100, BuzzFeed News reported.
The maximum wager was set at $US2,000, though the biggest bets on Trump lying were $US25,000, $US20,000, and $US15,000, John Lester, an odds consultant, told BuzzFeed News.
Lester said that 92% of bettors wagered that Trump would tell more than 3.5 lies and that BookMaker.eu would have to pay out $US276,424.
“It’s a bad day for Truthiness and Bookmaker,” he told BuzzFeed News. “We knew we were in trouble early with this one.”
Among other falsehoods, Trump said in his speech that there was a new crisis at the US-Mexico border, wrongly accused Democrats of refusing to pay for border security, and inaccurately described how most heroin come into the United States.
- Read more about President Donald Trump:
- Trump compares his border barrier to the walls of ‘wealthy’ politicians’ homes
- ‘How much more American blood must we shed?’: Trump addresses the nation amid government shutdown over border-wall funding
- The Trump administration keeps getting called out for misleadingly linking migrants at the US-Mexico border with terrorism
- Trump is considering a raid on the Pentagon budget to fund his border wall, report says
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.