- President Donald Trump announced via tweet on Saturday that he will no longer host the 2020 G7 Summit at his Doral resort in Florida.
- He blamed the media and Democrats for their outrage over the Trump administration’s decision to host the international political event at one of Trump’s properties.
- The decision sparked an uproar from Trump critics and ethics experts, who argued that Trump was violating the Constitution’s emoluments clause and essentially awarding a contract to himself.
- “Based on both Media & Democrat Crazed and Irrational Hostility, we will no longer consider Trump National Doral, Miami, as the Host Site for the G-7 in 2020,” he tweeted.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
President Donald Trump tweeted Saturday that his administration will no longer seek to host the 2020 G7 Summit at one of his Florida properties, following days of backlash over the controversial decision.
“I thought I was doing something very good for our Country by using Trump National Doral, in Miami, or hosting the G-7 Leaders,” he wrote, going on to chastise the media and Democrats for the firestorm of criticism around his decision.
“Therefore, based on both Media & Democrat Crazed and Irrational Hostility, we will no longer consider Trump National Doral, Miami, as the Host Site for the G-7 in 2020. We will begin the search for another site, including the possibility of Camp David, immediately. Thank you!” he wrote.
The White House had announced Thursday that the US would host the summit at Trump’s Doral Resort. Chief of staff Mick Mulvaney told press that the Trump administration had reviewed a number of locations but decided that Doral would be ideal.
The decision sparked an uproar from Trump critics and ethics experts, who argued that Trump was violating the Constitution’s emoluments clause and essentially awarding a contract to himself and stood to profit massively from hosting the international political event at his own property.
Hosting the summit at Doral would mean a deluge of foreign leaders, politicians, staff, and media would be paying the Trump Organisation for accommodation.
In his Saturday night tweet storm, Trump said Doral had been an ideal location because “it is big, grand, on hundreds of acres, next to MIAMI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, has tremendous ballrooms & meeting rooms, and each delegation would have… its own 50 to 70 unit building.”
He continued: “Would set up better than other alternatives. I announced that I would be willing to do it at NO PROFIT or, if legally permissible, at ZERO COST to the USA. But, as usual, the Hostile Media & their Democrat Partners went CRAZY!”
- Read more:
- A former Trump Organisation vice president thinks Trump will resign before getting impeached, just like Nixon did
- A federal judge ordered Trump to turn over 8 years of his tax returns to New York prosecutors
- New York prosecutors are investigating whether the Trump Organisation fabricated business records and broke state law
- Trump’s ties to Scotland airport are getting a closer look after military personnel stayed at Turnberry golf resort
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.