A judge ordered Trump to pay $2 million to settle a lawsuit alleging he and his children repeatedly broke charity laws

Associated Press/Patrick SemanskyPresident Donald Trump walks into the East Room of the White House to speak about his judicial appointments, Wednesday, Nov. 6, 2019, in Washington.
  • President Donald Trump must pay $US2 million to settle a lawsuit alleging that he and his children misused the Trump Foundation for personal gain, a judge ruled.
  • The lawsuit, filed by the New York Attorney General’s office, alleged that the Trump Foundation improperly used charitable assets to influence the 2016 presidential primaries.
  • Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement that Trump will be “subject to ongoing supervision” by her office and that Trump’s children have already undergone “compulsory training to ensure this type of illegal activity never takes place again.”
  • Trump previously said he wouldn’t settle the case.
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

President Donald Trump must pay $US2 million to settle a lawsuit alleging that the Trump Foundation engaged in “persistently illegal conduct” for years to benefit politically and financially, a judge ordered Thursday.

The lawsuit, filed by the New York Attorney General’s office, alleged that the Trump Foundation improperly used charitable assets to influence the 2016 presidential primaries.

The suit was filed after the Trump Foundation hosted a televised fundraiser for veterans during Trump’s 2016 campaign, raising $US3 million in donations which were dispersed by Trump’s former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski.

The lawsuit alleged that the foundation hosted such events and solicited charitable contributions to help bolster Trump’s reputation as a philanthropist and influence the 2016 election.

According to the terms of the settlement, Trump has admitted to “personally misusing funds at the Trump Foundation” and has agreed to restrictions on future charitable giving.

Donald Trump Ivanka Eric Jr.REUTERS/Gary CameronEric, Donald Jr., Ivanka, and President Donald Trump attend the ground breaking of the Trump International Hotel in 2014.

Trump and his children Ivanka, Eric, and Donald Jr. dissolved the charity last year.

Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement that Trump will be “subject to ongoing supervision” by her office and that Trump’s children have already undergone “compulsory training to ensure this type of illegal activity never takes place again.”

“The court’s decision, together with the settlements we negotiated, are a major victory in our efforts to protect charitable assets and hold accountable those who would abuse charities for personal gain,” James said. “My office will continue to fight for accountability because no one is above the law – not a businessman, not a candidate for office, and not even the President of the United States.”

Trump had previously tweeted that he wouldn’t settle the case.

Grace Panetta contributed reporting.

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.