Trump is reportedly backing down from his threat to shut down the government over the border wall

US president Donald Trump. Photo: Olivier Douliery-Pool/ Getty Images.

US President Donald Trump is backing down from a threat to force a government shutdown over funding for his proposed wall along the US-Mexico border, according to a Friday report from The Washington Post.

This would constitute the second time Trump has backed down from a shutdown threat over the border wall, doing so in April as well.

This time around, however, Trump was much more public with his threat.

“If we have to close down our government, we’re building that wall,” Trump told a crowd of thousands at a rally in Phoenix, Arizona, late last month.

In the days following Trump’s comments, Republican congressional leaders played down the idea of a shutdown over the wall, saying that there would be funding for border security in any package to fund the government.

But Democrats signalled any funding around the border wall would be a poison pill that they would vote against or filibuster.

According to The Washington Post’s Damian Paletta, members of the Trump administration told congressional leaders that the $US1.6 billion Trump promised as a down payment on the wall does not need to be included in a continuing resolution that would fund the government for six months.

The deadline for Congress to pass a budget or a continuing resolution to fund the government is September 30, but leaders have been public about the likelihood that they could pass a six-month extension for funding and deal a full-blown budget fight in December.

NOW WATCH: Briefing videos

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.